Job Title: Permanent Floating Substitute Teacher
Supervisor’s Title: Associate Head of School
Employee Classification: Exempt
This position is for a permanent floating substitute teacher in multi-grade
classrooms at Havern School, serving students with learning disabilities. We follow a
self-contained intervention model, with the teachers responsible for teaching all
subject areas (reading, writing, math, science and social studies). Differentiated
instruction is delivered in small and large group format, with the largest class size
being 15 students. This position is for November-June of the 20-21 school year and
has potential to transition into a full-time dedicated classroom teaching position for
the 21-22 school year.
Havern School is a small, one building school with under 100 students. We have
Covid-19 precautions in place and are considering ourselves one cohort. Daily hours
are 8:00-3:00. This is a full time position but part time would be considered.
Roles and responsibilities:
● Deliver instruction per teacher lesson plan to students, following the
directions and guidelines of the lead teacher.
● Flexibility and willingness to move between classrooms where needed
throughout the day and the week.
● Help create a positive classroom environment where students are engaged,
challenged at their individual level and supported (both emotionally and
● Develop suitable curricula, lessons, materials and effective teaching methods
based on the assessments of students’ needs.
● Understand students’ needs and adjust instruction accordingly.
● Deliver differentiated, data-driven instruction across all subject areas.
● Supervise students at recess and lunch.
● Develop a respectful, positive and caring rapport with students.
● When needed, teach lessons to students virtually who are quarantining at
● Maintain a positive attitude toward work with colleagues, families and
● Attend to the social and emotional needs of students.
● Maintain a willingness to increase knowledge and understanding about
student needs and to learn and grow through in-service opportunities,
speakers, summer reading assignments, etc.
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Special Education
● Experience working with diverse student populations
● 3-5 years experience in an independent school setting, preferred
● Orton GIllingham or similar training, preferred
● Basic comfort and skill with Google Suite and Google Classroom
● Demonstrated ability to communicate, solve problems, and maintain effective
relationships with all members of the school community
● High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations
Havern School offers a full package of benefits including health, dental, life
insurance, and retirement.
Please look at our website for more information about our school:
If you are interested in the position please submit a cover
letter and resume to Stephanie Evans, Associate Head of School at